TRUMP’s First Extra-Judicial Execution of an American.

nora-anwar

During campaign speeches, Donald Trump promised to kill the family members of terrorism suspects; a war-crime.  Nine days after taking office, President Trump makes good on his promise.   Trump follows his predecessor, Barrack Obama, down the same path by condemning an American citizen to death without allowing them their constitutionally guaranteed due process.  Trump supporters cheered as he took office, excited about the possibilities now that they no longer had an enemy of freedom in the Whitehouse.  This goes to show that despite the change of face in Washington, some things never change.  Unfortunately, a US Serviceman, CSWO William Ryan Owens, was killed in the raid along with as many as 30 Yemenis. 

Source: The Guardian

2017_jan-yemen-ospreyPresident Donald Trump personally approved a US commando raid in Yemen that left one elite serviceman dead and may have killed an eight-year-old American girl, the US military has told the Guardian.

At least 14 people died in Sunday’s raid by the elite Joint Special Operations Command, which is now the subject of a preliminary inquiry to determine if allegations of civilian deaths are sufficiently credible to merit a full investigation.

The operation was launched to gather intelligence on suspected operations by al-Qaida in the Arabian peninsula (AQAP), according to Colonel John Thomas, a spokesman for US Central Command. Planning for the raid “started months before”, under Barack Obama’s administration, but was “not previously approved”, he said.

Thomas said he did not know why the prior administration did not authorize the operation, but said the Obama administration had effectively exercised a “pocket veto” over it.

A former official said the operation had been reviewed several times, but the underlying intelligence was not judged strong enough to justify the risks, and the case was left to the incoming Trump administration to make its own judgment.

An eight-year-old girl, Nawar al-Awlaki, was killed in the raid, according to her family. Nawar, also known as Nora, is the daughter of the al-Qaida propagandist and American citizen Anwar al-Awlaki, who was killed in a September 2011 US drone strike in Yemen. Awlaki’s 16-year-old son Abdulrahman was killed in a second drone strike soon afterwards.

On the campaign trail, Trump endorsed killing relatives of terrorist suspects, which is a war crime. “The other thing with the terrorists is you have to take out their families, when you get these terrorists, you have to take out their families,” he told Fox News in December 2015.

Thomas strongly denied that US military forces knew the girl was in the compound before launching the operation, or that any of what Central Command said were an “estimated” 14 people ultimately killed in the raid were civilians. Continue reading

Advertisements