TRUMP’s First Extra-Judicial Execution of an American.

nora-anwar

During campaign speeches, Donald Trump promised to kill the family members of terrorism suspects; a war-crime.  Nine days after taking office, President Trump makes good on his promise.   Trump follows his predecessor, Barrack Obama, down the same path by condemning an American citizen to death without allowing them their constitutionally guaranteed due process.  Trump supporters cheered as he took office, excited about the possibilities now that they no longer had an enemy of freedom in the Whitehouse.  This goes to show that despite the change of face in Washington, some things never change.  Unfortunately, a US Serviceman, CSWO William Ryan Owens, was killed in the raid along with as many as 30 Yemenis. 

Source: The Guardian

2017_jan-yemen-ospreyPresident Donald Trump personally approved a US commando raid in Yemen that left one elite serviceman dead and may have killed an eight-year-old American girl, the US military has told the Guardian.

At least 14 people died in Sunday’s raid by the elite Joint Special Operations Command, which is now the subject of a preliminary inquiry to determine if allegations of civilian deaths are sufficiently credible to merit a full investigation.

The operation was launched to gather intelligence on suspected operations by al-Qaida in the Arabian peninsula (AQAP), according to Colonel John Thomas, a spokesman for US Central Command. Planning for the raid “started months before”, under Barack Obama’s administration, but was “not previously approved”, he said.

Thomas said he did not know why the prior administration did not authorize the operation, but said the Obama administration had effectively exercised a “pocket veto” over it.

A former official said the operation had been reviewed several times, but the underlying intelligence was not judged strong enough to justify the risks, and the case was left to the incoming Trump administration to make its own judgment.

An eight-year-old girl, Nawar al-Awlaki, was killed in the raid, according to her family. Nawar, also known as Nora, is the daughter of the al-Qaida propagandist and American citizen Anwar al-Awlaki, who was killed in a September 2011 US drone strike in Yemen. Awlaki’s 16-year-old son Abdulrahman was killed in a second drone strike soon afterwards.

On the campaign trail, Trump endorsed killing relatives of terrorist suspects, which is a war crime. “The other thing with the terrorists is you have to take out their families, when you get these terrorists, you have to take out their families,” he told Fox News in December 2015.

Thomas strongly denied that US military forces knew the girl was in the compound before launching the operation, or that any of what Central Command said were an “estimated” 14 people ultimately killed in the raid were civilians.

“If we did, we would know now, already, there were civilian casualties,” Thomas said.

Asked if the special operations forces identified a young girl’s body on the scene, Thomas said: “Not that we know of.”

In an interview with the Guardian, the girl’s grandfather, Nasser al-Awlaki, said he did not believe the Americans meant to kill his granddaughter. Nawar, who was staying at the house with her mother, was shot in the neck and died two hours later.

“I don’t think this incident was intentional,” Nasser al-Awlaki said in a phone interview from Yemen.

The elder Awlaki, a former government minister, said the village in which his granddaughter was staying was not an AQAP hotbed, but rather home to her uncles, tribal sheikhs who were actually fighting with the legal government of Yemen, which the ruling Iran-backed Houthi movement ousted in a coup.

Awlaki said the exiled former government was sending arms to his relatives from its southern stronghold in Aden, to combat the Houthis.

“If the Americans assumed that those arms were going to the hands of al-Qaida or something, I don’t know,” Nasser al-Awlaki said. “I cannot understand why the Americans use this big commando strike, which is similar to what happened to Osama bin Laden, in a small village in Yemen.”

At the White House, spokesman Sean Spicer stated: “No American citizen will ever be targeted” in counter-terrorism operations, though it was unclear if Spicer was announcing a new policy or was freelancing.

The pre-dawn raid was plagued by trouble from the start. A tilt-rotor MV-22 transporting the commandos experienced a “hard landing” near the target location, and had to be destroyed.

chief-special-warfare-operator-william-ryan-owens

CSWO William Ryan Owens, KIA

Chief petty officer William “Ryan” Owens was killed in the raid and three other Navy Seals were wounded.

Defense secretary James Mattis, in a statement on Monday, said Owens “upheld the noblest standard of military service”.

Thomas said the JSOC mission was to extract information on AQAP from the target location, not to hunt terrorist suspects.

“The objective was not to kill anybody. We’re pretty good at doing that from the air,” Thomas said.

Typically, initial investigations to establish a sufficiently credible allegation of US-caused civilian deaths take approximately two weeks. Without a ground presence in Yemen, military investigators will have to use aerial imagery and other methods to determine whether a formal inquiry is merited.

Trump has instructed Mattis and military planners to present him with options for an intensified campaign against the Islamic State, al-Qaida and what Trump calls “radical Islamic terror”.

US and other western intelligence agencies have long been worried about Yemen, the base for more than a decade of AQAP, one of the most effective and innovative affiliates of the veteran extremist organisation. Isis is also present in the country, though has had difficulty making major inroads.

One proposal under discussion, at Central Command and elsewhere, is to designate Yemen a formal battlefield for US forces, alongside Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan. That move would permit swifter decision-making, expanded authorities and an intensified pace of operations, rather than one-off raids or drone strikes.

During 2015 and 2016, Pentagon officials sounded warnings to the White House and regional allies, such as the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia, that the brutal US-backed Saudi air war against the ruling Iran-backed Houthi movement, and the dire humanitarian situation it engendered, was proving to be a distraction from threats like AQAP.

AQAP is one of the few affiliates of al-Qaida with a proven history of trying to strike in the US itself, as well as other targets in the west. The group’s specialist bomb-making skills have long been a concern to US security officials.

In recent years AQAP has exploited the chaos and conflict in Yemen to evolve into a potent local actor able to seize swaths of land, sources of revenue and to make new recruits.

According to a former defense official, the Obama White House was “reluctant” to authorize special operations raids against AQAP targets in its final years, though it permitted drone strikes.

No such reluctance appears to persist in the new administration. When Central Command initially disclosed the raid on Sunday, it signaled that the mission was “one in a series of aggressive moves against terrorist planners in Yemen and worldwide”.

Earlier this week, a Pentagon spokesman claimed the women killed during the raid may have been “fighters” who “ran to pre-established positions as though they had trained to be ready”.

Though both al-Qaida and Isis have made increasing use of female attackers in bomb plots in north Africa and Europe in recent months, there is little evidence that either group has ever deployed women in more traditional combat roles in strongholds within the Middle East.

Nasser al-Awlaki said women did fire on the Americans – not because they were al-Qaida, but because the pre-dawn raid frightened them.

“When the commando unit landed, everybody in the village tried to respond, including women,” Awlaki said.

“Mr Trump, his actions will only make things difficult, whether in America or elsewhere in the world. My message is that there are other ways, really, to solve problems rather than using actions like killing people in Yemen and also banning Muslims from entering the United States.”

Source: Naij
Nora, who is also known as Nawar al-Awlaki, was killed along many other non-combat people in the president’s first clandestine operation in Yemen.

According to Nora’s grandfather Nasser al-Awlaki, who was also Yemen’s former agriculture minister, the girl died after two hours of being shot in the neck.

He said: “My granddaughter was staying for a while with her mother, so when the attack came, they were sitting in the house, and a bullet struck her in the neck at 2:30 past midnight. Other children in the same house were killed.”

Going further, he said: “They (referring to the SEALs) entered another house and killed everybody in it, including all the women. They burned the house. There is an assumption there was a woman from Saudi Arabia who was with al Qaeda. All we know is that she was a children’s teacher.’

“Why kill children? This is the new [US] administration – it’s very sad, a big crime,” Nasser Al-Awlaki said. “[Nora] was hit with a bullet in her neck and suffered for two hours.”

However, the US military said that 14 al-Qaeda fighters had been killed in the raid, while two others were killed in a drone strike on central Yemen later in the day.

According to the statement by the US military, an American commando was killed in retaliation while three others were injured.

Part of the statement read: “The operation began at dawn when a drone bombed the home of Abdulraoof al-Dhahab and then helicopters flew up and unloaded paratroopers at his house and killed everyone inside,” said one anonymous resident, in an account of the incident corroborated by Yemeni security staff.

“Next, the gunmen opened fire at the U.S. soldiers who left the area, and the helicopters bombed the gunmen and a number of homes and led to a large number of casualties.”

Meanwhile, Trump fired acting Attorney General Sally Yates Monday night for “refusing to enforce a legal order designed to protect the citizens of the United States”.

Dana Boente, US attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia, was sworn in at 9 p.m. ET.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s